Some may remember the photos I took at my friends Brent & Annette’s wedding cake. They are among my most popular photos with this one having 82 views yesterday, 528 views this week, and 156,585 views in total. 564 people call it a favorite! The cake has appeared in several magazines and online stories and now the makers of the cake, Gateaux, Inc. will be appearing on the Food Network Challenge this Sunday at 7pm. They are competing with 4 other cake makers to make the best Dr. Seuss themed cake. Nerds, set your TiVos!
It is surprising how much interest there is in this cake. Several photos are nearing or have surpassed the 25k view mark and there are 127 people who call one a favorite. I have seen this on Digg, Reddit, joystiq, and TotalFark.com, among many others. It really makes me wish I had done something more than snap some photos of this great cake. In case you didn’t see it, this was made by Robin of Gateaux Inc. Hit her up for your next wedding cake.
At perhaps the best wedding (congratulations Brent and Annette) I have been to, there was by far the best wedding cake I have seen. Other people tend to agree as the photos have been linked to from Boing Boing and Wonderland to name just two. That explains how some of the photos have nearly 7000 views and over 50 people calling one a favorite.
UPDATE: The creator of this cake, Robin, from Gateaux Inc which is located in Plymouth, MN. “was amazing to work with and of course is amazingly talented” according the the bride and I can’t say that I could disagree. Just look at some of her other work.
The cake toppers were very hard to find. The bride looked for months and months and finally found a set on eBay.com; they were from Japan’s “Nintendo Club”
Here is the whole set (with more to come as I get some closeup macro shots I took, uploaded.)
- DEVELOPING: Karl Rove to be indicted. I feel like Drudge.
- Be your own hotspot – create a solar-powered Wi-Fi backpack. Sweet.
- Busmonster – another use of the Google Maps API, this time for info on bus routes.
- Transparent Google maps laid over satellite images – gotta love the API being out there.
- A9’s maps with block view photos – I know this has been out for a while but I hadn’t seen this particular implementation.
- Martha Stewart’s prison name: M. Diddy
- If Fiona Apple’s new video (click free link) is any indication of her new direction, I am thinking the Free Fiona campaign may free her from any future record deals once and for all. I am a Fiona fan but if her new sound is 20’s retro, I won’t be listening to much of it.
- Is greenlighting the next sex trend among teens and others, ala rainbow parties and sex bracelets
- Many designers are guilty of “Lazy, stupid and evil design” according to our favorite Swede Jacob Nielsen. I would have read this article but…
- Ricky Gervais’ top sitcoms of all-time (his top 3 are American shows) and his new show Extras
- 125 scientific questions in need of answering.
- Worst beers ever.
- Google Knows
Washington Nationals team logo is not sitting well with some fans.
- My War of the Worlds review, in case you missed it.
Chino Latino is now, probably my new favorite restaurant. The diverse food selection and the huge portions make a gathering at this Uptown restaurant a joy. If you can find it, that is, as it has no sign outside and can only be spotted by looking for the glittering wall of gold above a few outdoor diners. The waitress I had was very nice and eager to please. Check it out if you are hungry, adventurous, have a party of 4 or more, and don’t mind hanging out in a loud, bustling setting filled with a “be seen” type crowd.